Sunday, November 18, 2012

Weekend Rundown

So I had this dramatic list of five things I planned on accomplishing this weekend and I was only able to complete two. Whomp, whomp, whomp.  Truthfully, I was too exhausted to do too much so I did what was necessary.

First, I made Edward Heller's Chicago Cocoa Chili for the cook off on Friday.  This recipe required so many unusual ingredients and just so many ingredients on a whole, I didn't know how it would turn out.  Surprisingly, I was able to do what I set out to do and that was make a unique chili that took you through extreme flavors in one bite.  Each taste took you from sweet to salt to sour to spicy.  The downside was even though it was unique and great it did not place in the contest.  Big boo! LOL  I think it was just a bit too unique for the crowd I was serving it to.  Check out the link above for the recipe if you want to try this chili for your family.

The last thing I did was attend A Christmas Story at Actors Theatre of Louisville. I love the theatre but only recently have been able to enjoy the arts in Louisville.  Last month Mr. B and I saw Romeo and Juliet and it was the best production that I've ever seen.  So I knew not to expect anything less for A Christmas Story.




Directed by Philip Grecian, this Christmas adventure like no other, young Ralphie Parker’s fervent campaign for a Red Ryder BB Gun unfolds despite a chorus of worries (“You’ll shoot your eye out!”) and amid seasonal shenanigans involving a leg lamp, a bunny suit and a tongue stuck to a frozen flagpole. Relive a family tradition or start one anew with this stage adaption of the beloved film, inspired by Jean Shepherd’s classic American stories about Christmas—and growing up—in the Midwest.

I was so excited to see the play because A Christmas Story is one of my favorite holiday movies and I know I have mentioned here that I am a holiday freak! I literally know every word...word for word.  This play did not let me down! In fact, it may have been more funnier than the movie.  Justin R. G. Holcomb was phenomenal is the father providing great comedic relief.  If this acting thing doesn't work out for him he should really look into stand-up (I do believe he's a great actor and hope to see him on stage in my hometown, NYC in the future).  The other actors were awesome as well but the one that held a special place in my heart was the young actor that played Randy, Gabe Weible.  This young man played the part perfectly and you would have never known he is about 9 years old playing a 5 year old.  He dreams about playing in the NFL when he gets older but I hope he doesn't count out the arts.  All in all I had a great Sunday afternoon enjoy the local arts and couldn't have imagined spending it any other way.  I encourage you if you're in the Louisville area to check out A Christmas Story which will be playing at Actors Theatre until November 25th.  Remember, this is the final year for this production. You don't want to miss it!  Visit the Actors Threatre website by clicking on the name to make your purchase. 



I will have tons going on in my short week home. I will still do the review of the painting and I have already started sewing the drapes.  I plan to leave the remainder of the drapes and holiday decorating for when I return. So techinically, I accomplished four out of the five things I planned to do by postponing two. That doesn't count? Oh well, I tried.






Disclaimer:  I attended the production of A Christmas Story using tickets purchased with my own funds.  I was not contracted to do this review nor am I related or familiar with any of the actors in the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment